1.08.2008

An Issue I've had for Quite some time....

All day today, I've been thinking about the poor girl who died crossing the street in one of these crosswalks yesterday. I have a real issue with it and was seriously considering doing a petition to make the City of Provo DO something about this problem! As a matter of fact, the same thing that happened to that girl, almost replayed right in front of mine and Chris' eyes TONIGHT! You see, that girl wasn't carrying a flag (not sure if that would've even helped) and a car in the far lane didn't notice other cars slowing and couldn't see any person. So he ended up fatally hitting her at 40-45mph. Tonight, Chris & I were in the far lane when he noticed some cars slowing, but it looked like they were just getting ready to turn. Out of NO WHERE, 3 students come crossing in front of us, causing Chris to slam on his brakes and honk. I immediately throw my hands up in the air and the students looked at me stupidly while pointing to the white lines, as if to say "Hello, we're in a crosswalk and we're invincible and every car can see us, duh!" I'm not KIDDING, this happens all the time where these kids think they're invincible while within the white lines! I couldn't help myself (considering the fact I've been steamed about this issue all day) and rolled down my window shouting, "CARRY A FREAKIN' FLAG IDIOTS!"
Anyways, I took this picture right after that incident. And while getting ready to do this post, the news comes on covering the issue. I guess Provo City Council read my mind and has finally decided to address it. It's just too bad they were too late. They're considering putting up a light system (exactly what Chris & Erik thought up today) that will be activated by students when crossing.
I just can't believe it's taken this long. But I guess I'm relieved it's happening at all.

4 comments:

Cassi said...

I TOTALLY agree! I've been in the same situation multiple times and after slamming on my breaks, have thought to myself "Someone should do something!" I'm glad it's finally happening! It's really sad that it's too late! For both the driver and the girl cuz I'm sure that accident ruined the driver's life too.

angela hardison said...

I read about it (Pizzeria 712) on yourheartout.com and immediately wished I could go cause it seems like my type of place. I hadn't heard that Pizzeria Bianco was it's inspiration - but if that's true, I'm sure it's great. When I come visit Utah sometime, we should go.

Unknown said...

Hey girl,
I need ur email. I set my setting to private and I want to invite you.
email me at foreverfamily04@hotmail.com

Jen and Bryan said...

Hill's blog is still there. Maybe she just blocked you. :) I'm glad you visited my blog. We need those nice comments like the ones you made. And you are the hottest of them all. Remember, smokin' hot!!